FANDOM


Hurricane Ana
Category 1 hurricane (SSHS)
Hurr-katrina-20050825-vis

Ana on February 14 as a minimal hurricane
Formed February 11, 2021
Dissipated February 15, 2021
Accumulated Cyclone Energy {{{accumulated cyclone energy}}}
Highest winds 90 mph
(1-minute sustained)
Lowest pressure 971 mbar
Damages $200 million
Direct Fatalities {{{direct fatalities}}}
Indirect Fatalities {{{indirect fatalities}}}
Missing {{{missing}}}
Areas affected Hispaniola, Florida
Part of the
2021 Atlantic hurricane season
Hurricane Ana was a very unusual February category 1 hurricane that made landfall in Florida on Valentine's Day. Ana was a very surprising storm to form, because it nearly reached category 2 status in February, despite fairly strong wind shear and water temperatures of only in the upper 60s degrees Fahrenheit.

Meteorological History

On February 8, the NHC issued a special tropical outlook for the development of an upper-level low into a subtropical or tropical cyclone, giving the system a 10% chance of development in 48 hours and a 20% chance in 5 days. The next day, the system was designated "Invest 91L" by the NHC, and its development chances were raised to 20% in 48 hours and 40% in 5 days. Convection increased at the center of the storm, becoming less frontal in nature and more tropical. The next day, development chances were raised to 60% by the NHC.

On February 11, the system acquired significant convection and a moderately warm-core center, being designated Subtropical Storm Ana. Just hours later, Ana became fully tropical. Rapidly intensifying, Ana acquired hurricane force-winds on February 12. Moving westward toward Florida, Ana peaked with 90 mph winds on February 13 before weakening to a minimal hurricane just before landfall. On February 15, Ana dissipated over Florida, near Disney World. In total, Ana caused 6 fatalities and roughly $200 million in damage, but was not retired.

Ad blocker interference detected!


Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers

Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.